DIY Painting Adventures

This past weekend was full of little projects around the house, until Sunday when my man was off and we finally got the guts to take on a painting project. Yes, my friends, paint. I’ve been daydreaming about brightening up our dark, dreary walls with the perfect pale aqua color to match our duvet. We currently live in a rental, but the landlord agreed to split the cost of paint with us so we decided to go for it since we will *hopefully* be staying put for a while. All the furniture in our bedroom is hand-me-down from family members that I was given when I started college (I have future project plans for these too!). So I am slowly but surely making these pieces our own. But anyway, back to the project at hand (see I’m already daydreaming about my future projects, no wonder I start 5 things at once!). Paint, back to paint. We started with a really dark and dreary tan paint color when we moved in. Here is the bedroom before we began the painting process, kind of dull right?

Before
I bought a sample of a color we picked out called ‘Lagoon Green.’ (Samples are only about $3 so you aren’t out much if you don’t like it.) I really like the sample section I did on the wall, but as it turns out the paint looks MUCH different when it’s on ALL the walls… Paint Sample
Wall Sample
I also purchased spackle and went to town on the 27 hundred holes that were in our walls. I did this the day before we started painting to give it a good head start on the drying process. We then removed all the outlet and light switch covers and taped off the window and door moldings. Then the painting began, the man did the trim while I did the roller. We used Glidden Duo Paint + Primer ironically called “Lagoon Green”. (You’ll see the irony in the final product photo.) We also ended up having to do 2 coats of paint because the dark tan on the walls did not cover well with the first coat. As you can see the final product is much more of a sky or baby blue than any kind of “Lagoon Green”. It was meant to be a very pale aqua/teal color, but Glidden failed us on this one.

After Paint

We’re still proud of the result, and the space feels much more inviting and soothing now. We made it our own, which is not always the easiest thing to do in a rental property. I still have some decorating and finishing details to do on the room so it’s a work in progress. Next on my to-do list are those hand-me-down dressers!

After Paint Collage

Do you have any tips or tricks to make a rental your own, or to breathe life into an old space?

Thanks for stopping by, stay tuned for our next project! Don’t forget to subscribe for more tutorials, ideas, & transformations!

Advertisements

9 Comments

  1. That paint colour looks beauty! However my eye was distracted by the one curtain panel behind the bed. It seems too narrow. If you put one panel on each side of the window it will trick your eye to think the window is bigger than it is, and will balance the size of the bed. Sorry, couldn’t help myself. The rest is so pretty!!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Oh I was so worried I had offended you with my comment, I just can’t seem to keep my opinions to myself! (the height is good) see there I go again, lol. Thanks for following and my admiration goes to you for your sewing ability – you’ll see I have very very few sewing skills. Plus I will be trying that spaghetti loaf…looks delish!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Pingback: The Wait is Over! | sewcrazyliving

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s