DIY Dollar Store Planters

DIY Planters Edited

This spring I did A LOT of work outside now that we have a really cute backyard. I didn’t want to put too much work into it or spend much since it’s a rental and we can’t exactly take it with us when we move again. But I definitely want to enjoy it with friends and family while we’re here.

So I started by mending the fencing that encloses our yard, there were a lot of nails and boards sticking out so I used some extra screws to put them back in their proper place! I did have a little mishap with the hammer while trying to remove the nails though. I guess I’m stronger than I thought – much stronger…

Hammer Pic
Do things like this happen to other people,
or am I just that lucky?

There was also a space in the back corner of the yard that looked like it had, at one point, been a flower bed? Well when we moved in it was the hairy armpit of the yard, so I went to town weeding the entire thing. I will say it was very therapeutic, I haven’t done a ton of gardening before (apart from mowing the lawn) so working in the sun and dirt was really peaceful. Until about 5 minutes in when I started sweating profusely in the southern Louisiana sun. Overall though, still enjoyable.

Flower Bed Before1

I really wanted to add some height to the flower bed when… lo and behold I found some wrought iron plant hangers when I was cleaning it out! Pretty awesome find in my book, especially considering I didn’t want to spend much 😉 then I just needed some pretty planters to hang on them! So, to the Dollar Tree I went to see what I could find. All I could find was these plain boring grey ones, but I figured a little spray paint would transform them into exactly what I was looking for. I bought 3 of them which cost $3. Score!


I took off the rope before I spray painted them a light aqua/sky blue color that I had left over from a previous filing cabinet overhaul. You may need to use a pair of pliers to pinch the little metal pieces together that hold the rope in, I did…after I pinched my fingers a couple times first.


I spray painted the bottoms, let them dry, flipped them over, spray painted and let them dry again. I then filled them with potting soil and one of my favorite flowers, the Gerber Daisy, in red for a fun pop of color J (You’ll notice my use of grapefruits to hold down the drop cloth I used to paint on, yes grapefruits! We have a huge grapefruit tree that is about to produce more grapefruits than we will ever be able to consume, anyone want some?)


The white trellis along the fence, I found lying next to our house and stuck it here. It brightens up the flower bed and adds great contrast but it’s not perfect because the fence and ground is so uneven in this back corner.


The overall results really were fantastic considering the lack of money I spent. There are a lot of other things I would love to take on if we owned the property, but for now I’ll take it!

Thanks for stopping by! xo




Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s