DIY Chevron Letter

This past weekend, I had a bridal shower to go to and needed a cute, functional, yet inexpensive gift for the bride and groom to-be. I’ve seen tons of letter wreath/swag ideas all over Pinterest, so I went to the craft store to check out my options. I came home with a large, white wooden ‘C’ (which was about $5) and a couple floral pieces. I already had lots of paint at home but if you don’t have it on hand you will want to pick some up, as well as a small foam brush (you can really use any paintbrush, but I’ve found that a foam brush works well.) And then of course, me being me, I forgot to take a picture of my materials pre-crafting, but you will get the idea from the rest of the pictures.

I started by drawing lines and equal distance apart to create the chevron pattern. Make sure you use a pencil with a good eraser for this step. I originally tried to freehand the design and it was WAY more difficult than I had planned. So I drew perpendicular lines with a ruler on the C about 2 or so inches wide and 1 inch tall. Then draw diagonal lines from one corner of each box to the opposite corner. This entire process was trial and error, initially I created a grid that was 1×1 and it was too small so I erased the middle lines which ended working out perfectly.

C Lines 1

Then I taped off the lines with masking tape because that’s what I had handy. The space to cover with tape was just wider than my tape so I had to do a double layer of tape on each edge. Make sure the edges are pressed down firmly so that the paint does not bleed under it. (If you’re me, this may happen anyway but it’s not difficult to fix.)

C Taped

Since the C was already white, the next step is to paint the space that’s left between the tape. I used a baby blue color which is the same color we painted our walls (yes, this was leftover paint for out DIY Painting Adventure!). I did one coat of paint with a foam brush and then left the tape on too long. Make sure you peel the tape off shortly after you paint so it does not peel off with the tape! Mine peeled off in 1 or 2 spots but I was able to correct it with a little extra paint.

C Painting

C After Paint2

I let the paint dry overnight (a couple nights actually since it was a busy week for us). I then used a clear coat of spray paint to seal it so it was more resistant to our lovely Louisiana heat and dampness. I hung it on a hanger outside and went to town with Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover in gloss clear. Then, I let it dry overnight again. You do not have to let it dry this long, but we had a lot going on so it worked for me!

C Clearcoat Paint Can

C Clearcoat

Now it’s time to decorate! I had purchased a pale burgundy, burlap flower and some small white lacey flowers that I found in the wedding aisle. These cost me a total of about $4 (I also used a 20% off your total purchase coupon, every little bit helps!). I arranged the flowers several times before I finally hot glued it onto the C. I may have went a little overboard with the amount of glue I used, but hey..it won’t be coming off anytime soon! I then hot glued a burlap strip (I got this little pack of burlap at Michael’s for $1) to each side of the back top, I secured it again with a small white thumb tack. Didn’t it turn out amazing? It was even better than I was expecting! It turns out the bride and groom to-be absolutely loved it, and were even more excited when they found out that I had made it. Now I just need to make one for our door!

C Burlap

C Final Product Close

A little bit of handmade love and effort can go a long way!

Love the way this turned out, but not interested in making your own? Check out the contact page and contact me to place an order!

xo
Tori

Welcome

Welcome to SCL

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for quite a while now and here I finally am! There are many things that have made me feel very inspired and grateful lately and my mind is set to take on a whole bunch of new projects in the near future. Since I graduated college and moved to Louisiana from Upstate, NY (think Canadian border, Upstate) to be with my Military man, our house has been a hodge podge of college furniture and hand-me-downs from friends and family. Slowly but surely, I am rehabbing my way through our belongings and making our house a home (as much as it is possible to do with a rental). There is no better feeling than finding something old, worn, or shabby and giving it a flourish of personal style. We have several pieces in our home that have been labors of love after finding them in my grandparents barn or attic, that have been passed down from my great grandparents (pictures to come soon). I daydream of making a living out of these projects and ideas, & I’m determined to prove that this is not just a result of watching too much HGTV! In the meantime I’m making good use of my college degree.

The photo here is a little sneak peak of my latest project, believe it or not I have big aspirations for this in the future! Stay tuned to find out what they are…for now you can check out http://www.facebook.com/SewCrazyLiving and see what I’ve been working on!

IMG_6484